Tuesday, September 6, 2011

IARU Beacons

During the last 3 days I made some statistics about the IARU 20m beacons I'm able to receive with my dipole antenna on the roof.
This give you an idea when you get a chance to get through.

Some thoughs to debate:
When listening to the IARU Beacon, I'm using a 500Hz filter. Only to compensate de difference in S/N with the 3kHz of the SSB bandwidth, you should need 7,8 dB (10 log(3000/500) ) gain above the gain of the vertical antenna used by the IARU beacon. So if at a certain time I'm just hearing VE8AT, it means that you need a 100W + 7,8dB Gain, and I should hear you, but the signal will remain very low. More gain, more chance to cope with my 'poor' dipole antenna. Extra power will also help, but you need first to hear me ;-)
Leave comment, if you want further to debate this!

No comments:

Post a Comment